What is involved in IBM i System Administration
Find out what the related areas are that IBM i System Administration connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a IBM i System Administration thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its IBM i System Administration journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward IBM i System Administration leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which IBM i System Administration related domains to cover and 107 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
IBM i System Administration , Apache web server, Auxiliary storage pool, Closed source, DOS/360 and successors, General availability release, IBM 4680 OS, IBM 4690 OS, IBM 7090/94 IBSYS, IBM 8100 DPCX, IBM AIX, IBM Academic Operating System, IBM Airline Control Program, IBM DB2, IBM DPPX, IBM PC DOS, IBM Power Systems, IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program, IBM System/36, IBM System/38, IBM System i, IBM Workplace OS, Linux on z Systems, Logical partition, Microsoft Windows, MySQL AB, OS/360 and successors, Operating system, Project Monterey, Project Trillian, Proprietary software, Single-level store, Software developer, Software license, Software release life cycle, Transaction Processing Facility, Virtual machine, WebSphere Application Server, Web application framework, Zend Technologies:
IBM i System Administration Critical Criteria:
Consult on IBM i System Administration risks and finalize the present value of growth of IBM i System Administration .
– In what ways are IBM i System Administration vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Have the types of risks that may impact IBM i System Administration been identified and analyzed?
Apache web server Critical Criteria:
Boost Apache web server results and get the big picture.
– What management system can we use to leverage the IBM i System Administration experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Do we know what we have specified in continuity of operations plans and disaster recovery plans?
– How important is IBM i System Administration to the user organizations mission?
– Why should we adopt a IBM i System Administration framework?
Auxiliary storage pool Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Auxiliary storage pool leadership and find out what it really means.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once IBM i System Administration is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What is the total cost related to deploying IBM i System Administration , including any consulting or professional services?
– What potential environmental factors impact the IBM i System Administration effort?
Closed source Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Closed source tactics and sort Closed source activities.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent IBM i System Administration services/products?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a IBM i System Administration strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Is maximizing IBM i System Administration protection the same as minimizing IBM i System Administration loss?
DOS/360 and successors Critical Criteria:
Model after DOS/360 and successors visions and prioritize challenges of DOS/360 and successors.
– Will IBM i System Administration have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What are the usability implications of IBM i System Administration actions?
– Do we all define IBM i System Administration in the same way?
General availability release Critical Criteria:
Huddle over General availability release adoptions and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive General availability release projects.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about IBM i System Administration . How do we gain traction?
– Which customers cant participate in our IBM i System Administration domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Is a IBM i System Administration Team Work effort in place?
IBM 4680 OS Critical Criteria:
Track IBM 4680 OS goals and oversee IBM 4680 OS requirements.
– Is Supporting IBM i System Administration documentation required?
IBM 4690 OS Critical Criteria:
Differentiate IBM 4690 OS tasks and clarify ways to gain access to competitive IBM 4690 OS services.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a IBM i System Administration project?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom IBM i System Administration project?
– Is IBM i System Administration Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS Critical Criteria:
Boost IBM 7090/94 IBSYS engagements and optimize IBM 7090/94 IBSYS leadership as a key to advancement.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether IBM i System Administration goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Why are IBM i System Administration skills important?
IBM 8100 DPCX Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about IBM 8100 DPCX results and question.
– How do your measurements capture actionable IBM i System Administration information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Do IBM i System Administration rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
IBM AIX Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to IBM AIX projects and achieve a single IBM AIX view and bringing data together.
– Among the IBM i System Administration product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good IBM i System Administration project manager?
– How is the value delivered by IBM i System Administration being measured?
IBM Academic Operating System Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about IBM Academic Operating System failures and don’t overlook the obvious.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of IBM i System Administration product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of IBM i System Administration into the services that we provide?
– What vendors make products that address the IBM i System Administration needs?
IBM Airline Control Program Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over IBM Airline Control Program management and devote time assessing IBM Airline Control Program and its risk.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a IBM i System Administration project?
– What is the source of the strategies for IBM i System Administration strengthening and reform?
IBM DB2 Critical Criteria:
Sort IBM DB2 quality and gather IBM DB2 models .
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your IBM i System Administration activities?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of IBM i System Administration ?
– Will IBM i System Administration deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
IBM DPPX Critical Criteria:
Derive from IBM DPPX goals and pay attention to the small things.
– How do we Identify specific IBM i System Administration investment and emerging trends?
– How do we Improve IBM i System Administration service perception, and satisfaction?
IBM PC DOS Critical Criteria:
Explore IBM PC DOS governance and ask what if.
– Do we monitor the IBM i System Administration decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– What are our IBM i System Administration Processes?
IBM Power Systems Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on IBM Power Systems goals and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of IBM Power Systems.
– What are the disruptive IBM i System Administration technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its IBM i System Administration processes?
IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program Critical Criteria:
Focus on IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program strategies and create a map for yourself.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations IBM i System Administration values?
IBM System/36 Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot IBM System/36 governance and get the big picture.
– What are our needs in relation to IBM i System Administration skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– What are the Essentials of Internal IBM i System Administration Management?
– What are the long-term IBM i System Administration goals?
IBM System/38 Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect IBM System/38 strategies and catalog IBM System/38 activities.
– What are our best practices for minimizing IBM i System Administration project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the IBM i System Administration project lifecycle?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective IBM i System Administration leader?
– Who sets the IBM i System Administration standards?
IBM System i Critical Criteria:
Map IBM System i projects and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of IBM System i.
– In the case of a IBM i System Administration project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a IBM i System Administration project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any IBM i System Administration project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Is there a IBM i System Administration Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
IBM Workplace OS Critical Criteria:
Generalize IBM Workplace OS risks and transcribe IBM Workplace OS as tomorrows backbone for success.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the IBM i System Administration process?
– Can we do IBM i System Administration without complex (expensive) analysis?
Linux on z Systems Critical Criteria:
Dissect Linux on z Systems tactics and look at the big picture.
– How can we improve IBM i System Administration ?
Logical partition Critical Criteria:
X-ray Logical partition tasks and drive action.
– What threat is IBM i System Administration addressing?
Microsoft Windows Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Microsoft Windows governance and achieve a single Microsoft Windows view and bringing data together.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if IBM i System Administration does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Does IBM i System Administration analysis show the relationships among important IBM i System Administration factors?
MySQL AB Critical Criteria:
Reason over MySQL AB results and work towards be a leading MySQL AB expert.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these IBM i System Administration processes?
– Does IBM i System Administration analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– What are the short and long-term IBM i System Administration goals?
OS/360 and successors Critical Criteria:
See the value of OS/360 and successors outcomes and get going.
– What is our IBM i System Administration Strategy?
Operating system Critical Criteria:
Trace Operating system goals and observe effective Operating system.
– If the firewall runs on an individual host for which all users are not trusted system administrators, how vulnerable is it to tampering by a user logged into the operating system running on the protected hosts?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing IBM i System Administration ?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in IBM i System Administration ?
– What operating systems are used for student computers, devices, laptops, etc.?
– Are assumptions made in IBM i System Administration stated explicitly?
– What operating system does your computer use?
– Is unauthorized access to operating systems prevented?
Project Monterey Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Project Monterey tactics and do something to it.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the IBM i System Administration process?
– What are the barriers to increased IBM i System Administration production?
Project Trillian Critical Criteria:
Check Project Trillian visions and triple focus on important concepts of Project Trillian relationship management.
Proprietary software Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Proprietary software quality and describe the risks of Proprietary software sustainability.
– Which IBM i System Administration goals are the most important?
Single-level store Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Single-level store projects and explain and analyze the challenges of Single-level store.
Software developer Critical Criteria:
Study Software developer adoptions and look at it backwards.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your IBM i System Administration project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Pick an experienced Unix software developer, show him all the algorithms and ask him which one he likes the best?
– Does IBM i System Administration create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
Software license Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Software license failures and document what potential Software license megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– what is the best design framework for IBM i System Administration organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– What implementation technologies/resources (e.g., programming languages, development platforms, software licenses) does the provider support?
– What are the Key enablers to make this IBM i System Administration move?
– Is our software usage in compliance with software license agreements?
Software release life cycle Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Software release life cycle engagements and question.
– Can we add value to the current IBM i System Administration decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– What are the business goals IBM i System Administration is aiming to achieve?
Transaction Processing Facility Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Transaction Processing Facility visions and probe Transaction Processing Facility strategic alliances.
– How do we Lead with IBM i System Administration in Mind?
Virtual machine Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Virtual machine planning and improve Virtual machine service perception.
– Can your application be packaged into a virtual machine (VM) instance and run on cloud infrastructure or does it need specialized hardware and/or special access to hardware that the AWS cloud cannot provide?
– Does the provider utilize Network Access Control based enforcement for continuous monitoring of its virtual machine population and virtual machine sprawl prevention?
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– What types of resources (e.g., virtual machines, storage space, development environments) does the provider offer as part of each of its service models?
– An administrator wants to install a guest os on a newly created virtual machine. what enables the administrator to perform the installation?
– What is a limitation of using a backup agent on a hypervisor when backing up virtual machine (vm) data?
– What enables a virtual machine to be portable across physical machines running the same hypervisor?
– Which technique can be used to cluster a virtual machine with a physical machine?
– How many virtual machines are to be protected by the disaster recovery solution?
– What is the basis for determining the size of the virtual machine swap file?
– What enables a virtual machine to directly access luns in a storage system?
– What makes it possible to store virtual machine files on a nas device?
– What is a feature of virtual machine file system (vmfs)?
WebSphere Application Server Critical Criteria:
Categorize WebSphere Application Server goals and report on setting up WebSphere Application Server without losing ground.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our IBM i System Administration agendas for the next 3 years?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with IBM i System Administration ?
Web application framework Critical Criteria:
Track Web application framework adoptions and mentor Web application framework customer orientation.
Zend Technologies Critical Criteria:
Probe Zend Technologies decisions and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Zend Technologies projects.
– Who needs to know about IBM i System Administration ?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the IBM i System Administration Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
IBM i System Administration External links:
IBM i System Administration – OL19G – Tech Data Academy
Apache web server External links:
Best Practices: Apache Web Server | Make IT Safe
How to Install the Apache Web Server on a Windows PC
What Is The Apache Web Server? – Lifewire
Auxiliary storage pool External links:
*ASP — Auxiliary storage pool
IASP means Independent Auxiliary Storage Pool – All …
DOS/360 and successors External links:
DOS/360 and successors – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/DOS/360 and successors&item_type=topic
IBM 4690 OS External links:
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS External links:
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/IBM 7090/94 IBSYS&item_type=topic
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS – infogalactic.com
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS | IT History Society
IBM 8100 DPCX External links:
IBM 8100 DPCX – WOW.com
IBM AIX External links:
CIS IBM AIX Benchmark – CIS Center for Internet Security
ABSTRACT . This white paper provides best practices, planning, and use cases for implementing EMC VPLEX with IBM AIX virtualization and host cluster
http://IBM AIX 5.3/6.1/7.1 JRE/SDK Install privilege escalation
IBM AIX 5.3/6.1/7.1 JRE/SDK Install privilege escalation
IBM Academic Operating System External links:
IBM Academic Operating System – WOW.com
IBM Airline Control Program External links:
IBM Airline Control Program – Sensagent.com
http://dictionary.sensagent.com/ibm airline control program/en-en
IBM Airline Control Program – revolvy.com
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/IBM Airline Control Program
IBM DB2 External links:
IBM DB2 | FileMaker Community
[PDF]Ibm Db2 Reference Manual – colacao.store
Security Vulnerability: IBM DB2 Universal Database …
IBM PC DOS External links:
Ibm Pc Dos Handbook – bestcctv.store
Ibm Pc Dos And Microsoft Windows Users Guide – sitrak.store
IBM PC DOS – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
IBM Power Systems External links:
Ibm Power Systems Jobs | CareerBuilder
IBM Power Systems & AS400 Hosting – Infor & High Availability
COMMON – Your IBM Power Systems Users Group
IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program External links:
IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program
http://Jan 24, 1984
IBM System/36 External links:
The IBM System/36 was a small computer system marketed by IBM from 1983 to 2000 – a multi-user, multi-tasking successor to the System/34.
http://IBM AS/400 ADVANCED 36 RELEASE 7.5 LICENSED PROGRAMS …
IBM System/36 – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
IBM System/36 Archives – IT Answers
IBM System/38 External links:
IBM System/38 – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
On October 24, 1978, the company introduced the IBM System/38, designed as a follow-on for the IBM System/3.
http://IBM System/38 : an Auditors Guide. (eBook, 1985) …
IBM System/38 : an Auditors Guide. (eBook, 1985) …
IBM System i External links:
IBM System i support: My IBM registration FAQs
IBM System i (AS/400) Solutions and Support | …
ADM960_Col10_2013_Title | Ibm System I | Transport …
IBM Workplace OS External links:
IBM Workplace OS topic. Workplace OS was developed in 1991 as an ambitious plan by IBM to create a new computer operating system . The …
http://IBM Workplace/OS – vcfed.org
IBM Workplace OS – WOW.com
IBM WORKPLACE OS – economictimes.indiatimes.com
Linux on z Systems External links:
Linux on z Systems Customer Council Pages – Meetup
[PDF]z/VM and Linux on z Systems Performance Class
Akhilesh C. – Linux on z Systems Customer Council …
MySQL AB External links:
OS/360 and successors External links:
OS/360 and successors – Sussle
Operating system External links:
Which Windows operating system am I running? – …
nCino Bank Operating System
FINERY: The Wardrobe Operating System™
Proprietary software External links:
Proprietary Software Definition – LINFO
Proprietary Software for Free | USC Spatial Sciences Institute
Proprietary Software and the Institutional Researcher. – …
Software developer External links:
Title Software Developer Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Software Developer Salary – PayScale
[PDF]Job Description for Software Developer. Title: …
Software license External links:
Microsoft Software License Terms
QuickBooks Terms of Service & Software License …
Software release life cycle External links:
7011FI-1.xRelease.pdf | Software Release Life Cycle | Bit
Skill Pages – Software release life cycle | Dice.com
Transaction Processing Facility External links:
IBM z/Transaction Processing Facility
Virtual machine External links:
Install Hyper-V and create a virtual machine
VMware vCenter Converter: P2V Virtual Machine Converter
Virtual Machine Licensing FAQ | Microsoft Azure
WebSphere Application Server External links:
IBM WebSphere Application Server – United States
WebSphere Application Server V220.127.116.11 – Welcome to Liberty
Web application framework External links:
Beego: A Go Web Application Framework | Pluralsight
Amber – Crystal Web Application Framework
ASP.NET Boilerplate – Web Application Framework
Zend Technologies External links:
Zend Technologies | Headwaters MB