What is involved in Business Capability Modeling
Find out what the related areas are that Business Capability Modeling connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Business Capability Modeling thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Business Capability Modeling journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Business Capability Modeling leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Business Capability Modeling related domains to cover and 138 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Business Capability Modeling, Capability management in business, Blue Ocean Strategy, Business architecture, Business process reengineering, Business strategy, Capability approach, Capability management, Capability management in defence, Coherence Premium, Core competency, Dynamic capabilities, Enterprise Architecture, Enterprise architecture framework, Growth platforms, Harvard Business Review, Heat map, Intellectual Property Rights, International Standard Book Number, NATO Architecture Framework, Network Centric Warfare, Network Enabled Capability, Network theory, Operating model, Organizational learning, Resource-based view of the firm, Ricardian economics, Strategy map, System-of-Systems Engineering, Systems Engineering, Tacit Knowledge, Technology Management, Technology Strategy, The Open Group, The Open Group Architecture Framework, Theory of the firm, UK Ministry of Defence, Value chain, Virtual Enterprise:
Business Capability Modeling Critical Criteria:
Understand Business Capability Modeling tactics and find the essential reading for Business Capability Modeling researchers.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Business Capability Modeling in a volatile global economy?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Business Capability Modeling activities?
– What business benefits will Business Capability Modeling goals deliver if achieved?
Capability management in business Critical Criteria:
Reason over Capability management in business leadership and devote time assessing Capability management in business and its risk.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Business Capability Modeling ?
– Can we do Business Capability Modeling without complex (expensive) analysis?
– What are the long-term Business Capability Modeling goals?
Blue Ocean Strategy Critical Criteria:
Confer re Blue Ocean Strategy goals and look at the big picture.
– What is our formula for success in Business Capability Modeling ?
– Who sets the Business Capability Modeling standards?
– Do we have past Business Capability Modeling Successes?
Business architecture Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Business architecture tactics and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Business architecture.
– Do those selected for the Business Capability Modeling team have a good general understanding of what Business Capability Modeling is all about?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Business Capability Modeling leader?
– Are we Assessing Business Capability Modeling and Risk?
Business process reengineering Critical Criteria:
Discourse Business process reengineering goals and create Business process reengineering explanations for all managers.
– When conducting a business process reengineering study, what should we look for when trying to identify business processes to change?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Business Capability Modeling objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Business Capability Modeling is underway?
Business strategy Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Business strategy quality and change contexts.
– As a CSP undertakes to build out or take a fresh look at its service offerings, the CSP should clearly define its business strategy and related risk management philosophy. What market segments or industries does the CSP intend to serve?
– How do we provide the context for investment considerations (which services does an investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– In what ways are Business Capability Modeling vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Which services does the ITSM investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– What is the link between a firms business strategy and its capital budgeting process?
– What is your it asset management program. is it manual or automated (which vendor)?
– Have you identified your Business Capability Modeling key performance indicators?
– How to get alignment between business strategy and IT infrastructure?
– How can you measure Business Capability Modeling in a systematic way?
– What should be done in-house and what should be outsourced?
– Are outcomes in line with business strategy?
– What is the overall business strategy?
Capability approach Critical Criteria:
Examine Capability approach failures and be persistent.
– Can we add value to the current Business Capability Modeling decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– How do we keep improving Business Capability Modeling?
Capability management Critical Criteria:
Deduce Capability management strategies and grade techniques for implementing Capability management controls.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Business Capability Modeling study?
– What are the short and long-term Business Capability Modeling goals?
– How would one define Business Capability Modeling leadership?
Capability management in defence Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Capability management in defence tactics and look for lots of ideas.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Business Capability Modeling information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Business Capability Modeling process?
– How can skill-level changes improve Business Capability Modeling?
Coherence Premium Critical Criteria:
Generalize Coherence Premium management and differentiate in coordinating Coherence Premium.
– For your Business Capability Modeling project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Business Capability Modeling does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Is Business Capability Modeling Required?
Core competency Critical Criteria:
See the value of Core competency quality and improve Core competency service perception.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Business Capability Modeling process?
– What about Business Capability Modeling Analysis of results?
– Are there recognized Business Capability Modeling problems?
Dynamic capabilities Critical Criteria:
Steer Dynamic capabilities leadership and find answers.
– Do Business Capability Modeling rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
Enterprise Architecture Critical Criteria:
Group Enterprise Architecture leadership and define Enterprise Architecture competency-based leadership.
– In the case of a Business Capability Modeling project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Business Capability Modeling project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Business Capability Modeling project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– what is the best design framework for Business Capability Modeling organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Business Capability Modeling processes?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– How does the standard fit into the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA)?
– Are Enterprise JavaBeans still relevant for enterprise architectures?
– Are software assets aligned with the agency enterprise architecture?
– Are the levels and focus right for TOGAF enterprise architecture?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– Is There a Role for Patterns in Enterprise Architecture?
– What is the value of mature Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Should we Consider Enterprise Architecture?
– What is an Enterprise Architecture?
– What Is Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Enterprise Architecture?
Enterprise architecture framework Critical Criteria:
Match Enterprise architecture framework engagements and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Does Business Capability Modeling analysis show the relationships among important Business Capability Modeling factors?
Growth platforms Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Growth platforms quality and summarize a clear Growth platforms focus.
– How much does Business Capability Modeling help?
Harvard Business Review Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Harvard Business Review risks and oversee Harvard Business Review management by competencies.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Business Capability Modeling project manager?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Business Capability Modeling moving forward?
Heat map Critical Criteria:
Probe Heat map visions and grade techniques for implementing Heat map controls.
– What is our Business Capability Modeling Strategy?
Intellectual Property Rights Critical Criteria:
Study Intellectual Property Rights quality and shift your focus.
– What will be the policies for data sharing and public access (including provisions for protection of privacy, confidentiality, security, intellectual property rights and other rights as appropriate)?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Business Capability Modeling products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– What are our needs in relation to Business Capability Modeling skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Business Capability Modeling that make it risky?
– Who will own any copyright or intellectual property rights to the data?
International Standard Book Number Critical Criteria:
Revitalize International Standard Book Number outcomes and separate what are the business goals International Standard Book Number is aiming to achieve.
– Among the Business Capability Modeling product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Why are Business Capability Modeling skills important?
NATO Architecture Framework Critical Criteria:
Own NATO Architecture Framework outcomes and spearhead techniques for implementing NATO Architecture Framework.
– How can we improve Business Capability Modeling?
Network Centric Warfare Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Network Centric Warfare projects and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Network Centric Warfare projects.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Business Capability Modeling processes of our organization?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Business Capability Modeling project?
– Is Business Capability Modeling Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Network Enabled Capability Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Network Enabled Capability leadership and shift your focus.
– Do we monitor the Business Capability Modeling decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
Network theory Critical Criteria:
Value Network theory governance and report on the economics of relationships managing Network theory and constraints.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Business Capability Modeling?
– What threat is Business Capability Modeling addressing?
Operating model Critical Criteria:
Generalize Operating model planning and ask what if.
– What are the key elements of your Business Capability Modeling performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Business Capability Modeling forward?
– How will you know that the Business Capability Modeling project has been successful?
– Do you have a defined operating model with dedicated resources for IT risk?
– Is change a campaign or operating model?
Organizational learning Critical Criteria:
Focus on Organizational learning tasks and forecast involvement of future Organizational learning projects in development.
– How do we move from reacting to problems to fact-based, systematic evaluation and improvement and organizational learning through innovation?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Business Capability Modeling Management?
Resource-based view of the firm Critical Criteria:
Drive Resource-based view of the firm outcomes and document what potential Resource-based view of the firm megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– How do we Identify specific Business Capability Modeling investment and emerging trends?
Ricardian economics Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Ricardian economics goals and oversee Ricardian economics requirements.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Business Capability Modeling, including any consulting or professional services?
Strategy map Critical Criteria:
Talk about Strategy map decisions and reduce Strategy map costs.
– What potential environmental factors impact the Business Capability Modeling effort?
– Who will provide the final approval of Business Capability Modeling deliverables?
System-of-Systems Engineering Critical Criteria:
Investigate System-of-Systems Engineering quality and document what potential System-of-Systems Engineering megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Business Capability Modeling. How do we gain traction?
– What management system can we use to leverage the Business Capability Modeling experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
Systems Engineering Critical Criteria:
Devise Systems Engineering goals and document what potential Systems Engineering megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– The approach of traditional Business Capability Modeling works for detail complexity but is focused on a systematic approach rather than an understanding of the nature of systems themselves. what approach will permit us to deal with the kind of unpredictable emergent behaviors that dynamic complexity can introduce?
– When observing natural systems, complexity theorists can identify, to some degree, which systems have these features. to apply complexity theory to engineered systems that we have not yet designed, can we predict these features within acceptable accuracy ranges?
– What constraints apply, either in the nature and scope of our design effort (time, cost, funding, and other resources) or in the nature (size, cost, weight, etc.) of our solution?
– What approach will permit us to deal with the kind of unpredictable emergent behaviors that dynamic complexity can introduce?
– What will take the place of magnitude in our attempts to discern a power-law relationship?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Business Capability Modeling requirements in detail?
– What is the structure of the different information aspects on the interface?
– What is the detailed set of functions and properties of a given interface?
– Are the requirements mapped to one or more user needs?
– Who are the stakeholders involved with the system?
– How will functionality be verified and validated?
– How well should the system perform?
– How will we know when we are done?
– How much architecting is enough?
– Is the schedule too aggressive?
– Multiple development cycles?
– What are our objectives?
– How confident are we?
– Where are we today?
Tacit Knowledge Critical Criteria:
Align Tacit Knowledge issues and research ways can we become the Tacit Knowledge company that would put us out of business.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Business Capability Modeling project?
– Does Business Capability Modeling appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– How does one best achieve tacit knowledge codification?
Technology Management Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Technology Management risks and describe the risks of Technology Management sustainability.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Business Capability Modeling opportunities costing us money?
– Is Business Capability Modeling dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Technology Strategy Critical Criteria:
See the value of Technology Strategy results and point out Technology Strategy tensions in leadership.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Business Capability Modeling process?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Business Capability Modeling?
The Open Group Critical Criteria:
Experiment with The Open Group quality and optimize The Open Group leadership as a key to advancement.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Business Capability Modeling agendas for the next 3 years?
– Think of your Business Capability Modeling project. what are the main functions?
– What is Effective Business Capability Modeling?
The Open Group Architecture Framework Critical Criteria:
Meet over The Open Group Architecture Framework tasks and innovate what needs to be done with The Open Group Architecture Framework.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Business Capability Modeling strengthening and reform actually originate?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Business Capability Modeling values?
– Are there Business Capability Modeling Models?
Theory of the firm Critical Criteria:
Unify Theory of the firm leadership and integrate design thinking in Theory of the firm innovation.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Business Capability Modeling leaders?
UK Ministry of Defence Critical Criteria:
Debate over UK Ministry of Defence failures and document what potential UK Ministry of Defence megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– What are the Key enablers to make this Business Capability Modeling move?
Value chain Critical Criteria:
Read up on Value chain management and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Value chain.
Virtual Enterprise Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Virtual Enterprise management and do something to it.
– How do we Improve Business Capability Modeling service perception, and satisfaction?
– How is the value delivered by Business Capability Modeling being measured?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Business Capability Modeling Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Business Capability Modeling External links:
Business Capability Modeling – Gartner IT Glossary
Business Capability Modeling – Gartner IT Glossary
Capability management in business External links:
Capability management in business – Revolvy
https://broom02.revolvy.com/topic/Capability management in business
Blue Ocean Strategy External links:
The Explainer: Blue Ocean Strategy – HBR Video
Blue Ocean Strategy Flashcards | Quizlet
Blue Ocean Strategy: 5 Proven Steps – The Innovative Manager
Business architecture External links:
What is Business Architecture? – The Open Group Blog
Business Architecture Center of Excellence
Business process reengineering External links:
[PPT]Business Process Reengineering: Principles, …
Job: BUSINESS PROCESS REENGINEERING | Master …
Business strategy External links:
Business strategy (Book, 2015) [WorldCat.org]
Business Strategy | Coursera
Capability approach External links:
[PDF]The Capability Approach: a theoretical survey
The Capability Approach (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
Capability management External links:
Capability Management – Center For Talent Reporting
What is business capability management? – Updated 2017
Coherence Premium External links:
The Coherence Premium – Strategy&
The Coherence Premium – Harvard Business Review
The Coherence Premium Flashcards | Quizlet
Core competency External links:
Death To Core Competency: Lessons From Nike, Apple, …
ALF Core Competency Test
Advocacy as a Core Competency | Blog.SHRM.org
Dynamic capabilities External links:
Dynamic Capabilities: Understanding Strategic Change …
Enterprise Architecture External links:
Enterprise Architecture Center of Excellence
Enterprise Architecture Body of Knowledge (EABOK) | Home
Enterprise Architecture | North Dakota ITD
Enterprise architecture framework External links:
Federal Enterprise Architecture Framework Version 2 – …
[PDF]The Oracle Enterprise Architecture Framework
Enterprise Architecture Framework – EA Masterclass
Harvard Business Review External links:
Harvard Business Review Case Discussions – Educators …
Harvard Business Review – Ideas and Advice for Leaders
Heat map External links:
A heat map is a graphical representation of data where the individual values contained in a grid are represented as colors.
How to make a heat map in Google Fusion Tables | Poynter
heatmap – MATLAB heat map – Stack Overflow
Intellectual Property Rights External links:
Intellectual Property Rights (IPRS) search – cbp.gov
Intellectual property rights in the United States are regulated through the federal government through a number of rights. The four main intellectual property rights in the United States are Copyright; Patent; Trademark; and Trade Secrets.
What are intellectual property rights? – WTO
International Standard Book Number External links:
[PDF]International Standard Book Number: 0-942920-53-8
What is an ISBN (International Standard Book Number)?
NATO Architecture Framework External links:
download nato architecture framework v3 – Google Drive
NATO Architecture Framework · GitHub
Network Centric Warfare External links:
[PDF]NETWORK CENTRIC WARFARE – …
Network Enabled Capability External links:
Network Enabled Capability Technology (Feb 2018), …
NATO Network Enabled Capability (NNEC) (archived)
Network Enabled Capability – YouTube
Network theory External links:
What Is Social Network Theory? | LoveToKnow
What is Network Theory? – Definition from Techopedia
Social Network Theory Flashcards | Quizlet
Operating model External links:
High-Impact HR Operating Model – Key To Business Success
Forget Strategy: Focus IT on Your Operating Model « …
Organizational learning External links:
Organizational Learning and Quality Improvement | …
Society for Organizational Learning – Official Site
How to Debrief to Promote Organizational Learning: 7 Steps
Resource-based view of the firm External links:
Resource-based view of the firm – IS Theory
Ricardian economics External links:
CiteSeerX — Ricardian economics.
Strategy map External links:
Strategy Map – How to Use a Strategy Map
IS Strategy Map | Kent State University
What is a Strategy Map? A short and simple guide for 2017.
Systems Engineering External links:
Mechanical, Industrial and Systems Engineering
Industrial & Systems Engineering | College of Engineering
Innoslate | PLM and Systems Engineering Tools
Tacit Knowledge External links:
SWS Website – We transfer complex and tacit knowledge
Tacit knowledge legal definition of Tacit knowledge
Tacit Knowledge – Knowledge Management Team 5
Technology Management External links:
Technology Management Concepts – El Segundo, CA – Inc.com
Share the Vision 2017 | UIUC Office of Technology Management
Technology Strategy External links:
Maximize IT With Technology Strategy | Accenture Strategy
Marketing Technology Strategy Services | Merkle
AMC Science and Technology Strategy for 2014-2040
The Open Group External links:
FACE HOME | The Open Group
2018 Passleader The Open Group OG0-093 Dumps | OG0 …
The Open Group Professional Certifications – Pearson VUE
The Open Group Architecture Framework External links:
The Open Group Architecture Framework Version 8.1.1
[PDF]The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF) …
The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF) – Core Concepts
Theory of the firm External links:
[DOC]Theory of the Firm – USI
http://www.usi.edu/business/cashel/308/Theory of the Firm1.doc
Theory Of The Firm Definition | Investopedia
[PDF]Theory of the Firm
Value chain External links:
Data Value Chain | Onvia
[PDF]The Value Chain From Competitive Advantage , by …
U.S. Global Value Chain Coalition
Virtual Enterprise External links:
[PDF]Virtual Enterprise Course Description – SJCOE
MVHS Virtual Enterprise
What is Virtual Enterprise | IGI Global