What is involved in Service Portfolio Management
Find out what the related areas are that Service Portfolio Management connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Service Portfolio Management thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Service Portfolio Management journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Service Portfolio Management leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Service Portfolio Management related domains to cover and 89 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Service Portfolio Management, IT portfolio management, Application Portfolio Management, Balanced scorecard, Enterprise Architecture, ITIL v3, IT Governance, IT Service Management, Information Technology, Infrastructure Portfolio Management, Integrated Business Planning, Investment management, Project Portfolio Management, Science of Computer Programming, Vertical integration:
Service Portfolio Management Critical Criteria:
Drive Service Portfolio Management quality and look at the big picture.
– In the case of a Service Portfolio Management project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Service Portfolio Management project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Service Portfolio Management project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What are our best practices for minimizing Service Portfolio Management project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Service Portfolio Management project lifecycle?
– Is the scope of Service Portfolio Management defined?
IT portfolio management Critical Criteria:
Check IT portfolio management outcomes and proactively manage IT portfolio management risks.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Service Portfolio Management information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Service Portfolio Management into the services that we provide?
– Are there Service Portfolio Management Models?
Application Portfolio Management Critical Criteria:
Coach on Application Portfolio Management results and slay a dragon.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Service Portfolio Management goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Service Portfolio Management activities?
– Are there recognized Service Portfolio Management problems?
Balanced scorecard Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Balanced scorecard planning and work towards be a leading Balanced scorecard expert.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– How will you know that the Service Portfolio Management project has been successful?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Service Portfolio Management?
– Are there Service Portfolio Management problems defined?
Enterprise Architecture Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Enterprise Architecture results and drive action.
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– How can you negotiate Service Portfolio Management successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– How does the standard fit into the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA)?
– Does our organization need more Service Portfolio Management education?
– Are Enterprise JavaBeans still relevant for enterprise architectures?
– Are software assets aligned with the agency enterprise architecture?
– What are the usability implications of Service Portfolio Management actions?
– Are the levels and focus right for TOGAF enterprise architecture?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– Is There a Role for Patterns in Enterprise Architecture?
– What is the value of mature Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Should we Consider Enterprise Architecture?
– What is an Enterprise Architecture?
– What Is Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Enterprise Architecture?
ITIL v3 Critical Criteria:
Dissect ITIL v3 adoptions and adopt an insight outlook.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Service Portfolio Management models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Service Portfolio Management that make it risky?
– Access management – who has access?
IT Governance Critical Criteria:
Probe IT Governance tactics and stake your claim.
– Policy compliance is closely related to IT governance. Compliance has much to do with defining, controlling and governing security efforts. How should an organization respond to security events?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Service Portfolio Management forward?
– what is the difference between data governance and it governance?
– Who sets the Service Portfolio Management standards?
– Why should we adopt a Service Portfolio Management framework?
IT Service Management Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about IT Service Management failures and point out improvements in IT Service Management.
– If the service provider is eligible for certification, then what is the scope of the processes being audited?
– What challenges and opportunities does cloud computing present for IT service management ?
– What challenges and opportunities does cloud computing present for IT Service Management ?
– How much time does it take to consolidate information into meaningful reports?
– Do changes in business processes fall under the scope of Change Management?
– What level of service resilience and backup is provided within the service?
– What should customers be looking for and expect from a good cloud service provider?
– How does mobility improve your organizations service desk effectiveness?
– Is the cloud service providers service desk local, onshore or offshore?
– If your itsm team is slated for growth, what are the relevant reasons?
– What services are published in your organizations service catalog?
– What do enterprises really want from IT service management ITSM?
– What are the relevant reasons for IT Service Management?
– Why are business sponsors for IT projects so important?
– How does this service support business activities?
– What questions should be asked of a cloud service provider?
– Do you have a growing list of overdue incidents?
– What do you see as your major ITSM challenge?
– What is the future of it Service Management?
– How is it integrated?
Information Technology Critical Criteria:
Focus on Information Technology results and forecast involvement of future Information Technology projects in development.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Service Portfolio Management strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
– How would one define Service Portfolio Management leadership?
Infrastructure Portfolio Management Critical Criteria:
Guide Infrastructure Portfolio Management decisions and customize techniques for implementing Infrastructure Portfolio Management controls.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Service Portfolio Management workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Service Portfolio Management, including any consulting or professional services?
– What business benefits will Service Portfolio Management goals deliver if achieved?
Integrated Business Planning Critical Criteria:
Start Integrated Business Planning tactics and finalize specific methods for Integrated Business Planning acceptance.
– What are the disruptive Service Portfolio Management technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– How do we Improve Service Portfolio Management service perception, and satisfaction?
– How do we manage Service Portfolio Management Knowledge Management (KM)?
Investment management Critical Criteria:
Analyze Investment management quality and reduce Investment management costs.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Service Portfolio Management services/products?
– Will Service Portfolio Management have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Service Portfolio Management ?
Project Portfolio Management Critical Criteria:
Confer over Project Portfolio Management governance and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Project Portfolio Management.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Service Portfolio Management values?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Service Portfolio Management project manager?
– How will you measure your Service Portfolio Management effectiveness?
– What is project portfolio management?
Science of Computer Programming Critical Criteria:
Scan Science of Computer Programming visions and proactively manage Science of Computer Programming risks.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Service Portfolio Management delivery for example is new software needed?
– Is Service Portfolio Management Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– Why are Service Portfolio Management skills important?
Vertical integration Critical Criteria:
Devise Vertical integration visions and adopt an insight outlook.
– How can skill-level changes improve Service Portfolio Management?
– How do we maintain Service Portfolio Managements Integrity?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Service Portfolio Management Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Service Portfolio Management External links:
ITSCollab: Service Portfolio Management Project …
Service Portfolio Management ? Optimizing IT Business …
About Us – ITFM and Service Portfolio Management …
IT portfolio management External links:
IT Portfolio Management Conference – 10times
Balanced scorecard External links:
Balanced scorecard | The Economist
Balanced Scorecard – SkyMark
Balanced Scorecard – Google Groups
Enterprise Architecture External links:
Enterprise Architecture Center of Excellence
Enterprise Architecture Standards | CDT
Enterprise Architecture | North Dakota ITD
ITIL v3 External links:
taruu ITIL v3 Core Concepts Flashcards | Quizlet
What is ITIL v3? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Itil V3 – AbeBooks
IT Governance External links:
IT GOVERNANCE LIBRARY – OIT
IT Governance (ITG) – Gartner IT Glossary
IT Service Management External links:
Remedy 9 – IT Service Management Suite – BMC Software
IT Service Management | Availability Management | Optanix
Remedyforce- IT Service Management and Help Desk – …
Information Technology External links:
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Umail | University Information Technology Services
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
Infrastructure Portfolio Management External links:
Infrastructure Portfolio Management (IPM) – Bruce Robertson
What is Infrastructure Portfolio Management? – Quora
Integrated Business Planning External links:
o9 Solutions – Demand, Supply, Integrated Business Planning
Investment management External links:
Tomorrow’s Scholar – Voya Investment Management – …
Artisan Partners – Global Investment Management Firm
SEC.gov | Investment Management
Project Portfolio Management External links:
Project Portfolio Management Software | Deltek PPM
Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management …
Eclipse Project Portfolio Management – Login
Science of Computer Programming External links:
[PDF]Science of Computer Programming Model driven …
Science of Computer Programming – ScienceDirect.com
[PDF]Science of Computer Programming
Vertical integration External links:
Pioneer Natural Resources – Vertical Integration
Vertical integration | The Economist