What is involved in information engineering
Find out what the related areas are that information engineering connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a information engineering thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its information engineering journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward information engineering leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which information engineering related domains to cover and 142 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
information engineering, Application development, Australia, Bioinformatics, Business driven, Business process reengineering, Business re-engineering, Clive Finkelstein, Computer-aided software engineering, Computer Science, Data analysis, Database administrator, Database design, Entity-relationship model, Information Architecture, Information Engineering Facility, Information Technology, Information system, Information systems, Integrated Authority File, KnowledgeWare, Rapid application development, Software Engineering, Systems analyst, T.W. Olle, Texas Instruments Software:
information engineering Critical Criteria:
Define information engineering leadership and pay attention to the small things.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these information engineering processes?
– What vendors make products that address the information engineering needs?
– Is there any existing information engineering governance structure?
Application development Critical Criteria:
Focus on Application development leadership and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Is the software and application development process based on an industry best practice and is information security included throughout the software development life cycle (sdlc) process?
– What type of feasibility is concerned with whether the project violates particular laws or regulations?
– Which systems play a pivotal role in our organizations continued operations and goal attainment?
– What type of feasibility is concerned with whether the project makes financial sense?
– What new hardware, software, databases or procedures will improve an existing system?
– What sets of objectives are important to our systems development project?
– What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a rad proces?
– Is there a need to exchange data with other applications?
– Economic feasibility -is the solution cost-effective?
– Is the system large and can it be sensibly split up?
– Who are the potential users of the new application?
– Is the functionality visible through the uis?
– Can all end user classes be identified?
– What is a key aspect of prototyping?
– What are the associated risks?
– When to use dsdm?
– When use RAD?
Australia Critical Criteria:
Categorize Australia quality and prioritize challenges of Australia.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if information engineering does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in information engineering?
Bioinformatics Critical Criteria:
Align Bioinformatics tactics and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Bioinformatics.
– Have you identified your information engineering key performance indicators?
– Does our organization need more information engineering education?
Business driven Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Business driven visions and look at the big picture.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding information engineering?
– Are there information engineering problems defined?
Business process reengineering Critical Criteria:
Analyze Business process reengineering leadership and separate what are the business goals Business process reengineering is aiming to achieve.
– When conducting a business process reengineering study, what should we look for when trying to identify business processes to change?
– Is maximizing information engineering protection the same as minimizing information engineering loss?
– Does the information engineering task fit the clients priorities?
– What are the Essentials of Internal information engineering Management?
Business re-engineering Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Business re-engineering outcomes and attract Business re-engineering skills.
– How can you negotiate information engineering successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as information engineering leaders?
– What are the Key enablers to make this information engineering move?
Clive Finkelstein Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Clive Finkelstein projects and spearhead techniques for implementing Clive Finkelstein.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for information engineering strengthening and reform actually originate?
– What is our formula for success in information engineering ?
Computer-aided software engineering Critical Criteria:
Study Computer-aided software engineering planning and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Computer-aided software engineering projects.
– Does information engineering appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– How do we go about Securing information engineering?
Computer Science Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Computer Science leadership and be persistent.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic information engineering objectives?
– How do we Improve information engineering service perception, and satisfaction?
Data analysis Critical Criteria:
Administer Data analysis tasks and define what do we need to start doing with Data analysis.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our information engineering agendas for the next 3 years?
– What is the difference between Data Analytics Data Analysis Data Mining and Data Science?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of information engineering activities?
– What are all of our information engineering domains and what do they do?
– What are some real time data analysis frameworks?
Database administrator Critical Criteria:
Administer Database administrator tasks and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new information engineering in a volatile global economy?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective information engineering leader?
– Why is information engineering important for you now?
Database design Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Database design projects and triple focus on important concepts of Database design relationship management.
– Rapid application development (rad) techniques have been around for about two decades now and have been used with varying degrees of success. sometimes rad is required for certain projects. but rad can be bad for database design. why?
– What are our best practices for minimizing information engineering project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the information engineering project lifecycle?
– Does information engineering analysis show the relationships among important information engineering factors?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of information engineering moving forward?
Entity-relationship model Critical Criteria:
Guide Entity-relationship model results and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Entity-relationship model results.
– What are the short and long-term information engineering goals?
– What are the usability implications of information engineering actions?
– What are the long-term information engineering goals?
Information Architecture Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Information Architecture engagements and mentor Information Architecture customer orientation.
– Users increasingly demand from web sites the ability to get information that is customized to their interests and needs. Many web sites now tailor their content through the use of architectures designed to support multiple audience types, or through technologies that allow users to profile their personal interests. These kinds of sites demonstrate that their designers are sensitive to the fact the users arent all the same. Besides the influence of users, marketing efforts have driven this trend to a large degree: why present general information to the broadest audience (e.g., trying to sell tobacco products to everyone, including the antismoking activists) when you can target information to prequalified market segments (e.g., selling expensive cigars to yuppies)?
– Are adequate funding and the right type of personnel resources available throughout the project lifecycle to support and maintain the information?
– what is a good application for drawing tree diagrams when planning information architecture?
– What are the main obstacles to constructing a Web site with a solid architecture?
– Should you use a hierarchy or would a more structured database-model work best?
– Is there a requirement to perform a search across multiple data sources?
– How best show combinations of facets that consist of large hierarchies?
– How to use faceted metadata to expand (as opposed to refine)?
– How to integrate with relevance feedback (more like this)?
– Are there other audiences we are not thinking about?
– What is the context or situation for your users?
– Why Should we Consider Enterprise Architecture?
– What is it that we are designing, and why?
– Who Should Be the Information Architect?
– How is hierarchical drill-down revealed?
– What does an Information Architect do?
– Image Search: What is the task?
– Who was the site designed for?
– Why not the Amazon model ?
– What Do IT Architects Do?
Information Engineering Facility Critical Criteria:
Learn from Information Engineering Facility leadership and sort Information Engineering Facility activities.
– How do your measurements capture actionable information engineering information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– What are the key elements of your information engineering performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Think of your information engineering project. what are the main functions?
Information Technology Critical Criteria:
Detail Information Technology engagements and forecast involvement of future Information Technology projects in development.
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
– What are internal and external information engineering relations?
– Who sets the information engineering standards?
Information system Critical Criteria:
Survey Information system decisions and customize techniques for implementing Information system controls.
– On what terms should a manager of information systems evolution and maintenance provide service and support to the customers of information systems evolution and maintenance?
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this information engineering process?
– Has your organization conducted a cyber risk or vulnerability assessment of its information systems, control systems, and other networked systems?
– Would an information systems (is) group with more knowledge about a data production process produce better quality data for data consumers?
– Are information systems and the services of information systems things of value that have suppliers and customers?
– What does the customer get from the information systems performance, and on what does that depend, and when?
– What are the principal business applications (i.e. information systems available from staff PC desktops)?
– Why Learn About Security, Privacy, and Ethical Issues in Information Systems and the Internet?
– What are information systems, and who are the stakeholders in the information systems game?
– How will you know that the information engineering project has been successful?
– How secure -well protected against potential risks is the information system ?
– Is unauthorized access to information held in information systems prevented?
– What does integrity ensure in an information system?
– Is authorized user access to information systems ensured?
– Why should we adopt a information engineering framework?
– Is security an integral part of information systems?
Information systems Critical Criteria:
Sort Information systems governance and do something to it.
– Have we developed a continuous monitoring strategy for the information systems (including monitoring of security control effectiveness for system-specific, hybrid, and common controls) that reflects the organizational Risk Management strategy and organizational commitment to protecting critical missions and business functions?
– Are information security events and weaknesses associated with information systems communicated in a manner to allow timely corrective action to be taken?
– How are our information systems developed ?
Integrated Authority File Critical Criteria:
Read up on Integrated Authority File visions and explore and align the progress in Integrated Authority File.
– For your information engineering project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Among the information engineering product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Do we all define information engineering in the same way?
KnowledgeWare Critical Criteria:
Mine KnowledgeWare issues and reduce KnowledgeWare costs.
– In what ways are information engineering vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
Rapid application development Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Rapid application development failures and arbitrate Rapid application development techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Have we thought of cost, functionality,vendor support, vendor viability, quality of documentation, ease of learning, ease of use, ease of installation, response time, throughput, version?
– Will applications programmers and systems analysts become nothing more than evaluators of packaged software?
– What type of feasibility is concerned with whether the project can be completed on time?
– Who is responsible for modifying or developing programs to satisfy user requirements?
– Operational feasibility -will the solution fulfill the users requirements?
– What is a formalized approach for developing a project schedule?
– What opportunities might a new or enhanced system provide?
– Did usability perceptions change during the rad proces?
– What is important for us?
– What is architected rad?
Software Engineering Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Software Engineering adoptions and drive action.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with information engineering ?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– What are specific information engineering Rules to follow?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
Systems analyst Critical Criteria:
Investigate Systems analyst projects and ask questions.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing information engineering?
– Are there recognized information engineering problems?
– How do we keep improving information engineering?
T.W. Olle Critical Criteria:
Categorize T.W. Olle results and cater for concise T.W. Olle education.
– Is Supporting information engineering documentation required?
Texas Instruments Software Critical Criteria:
Model after Texas Instruments Software quality and find the ideas you already have.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once information engineering is underway?
– Is a information engineering Team Work effort in place?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the information engineering Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
information engineering External links:
School of Operations Research and Information Engineering
Information engineering (Book, 1992) [WorldCat.org]
School of Operations Research and Information Engineering
Application development External links:
Application Development | Microsoft Docs
Application Development (AppDev) Defined and …
Application Development | FEMA.gov
Australia External links:
Adobe Australia – Official Site
Australia (@Australia) | Twitter
Safety Wise | ICAM Home | Australia
Bioinformatics External links:
ExPASy: SIB Bioinformatics Resource Portal – Categories
Duke Department of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics
DAVID Functional Annotation Bioinformatics Microarray …
Business driven External links:
HR Times – The HR Blog – Business Driven Insight for …
miMeetings – For Business Driven
Business process reengineering External links:
Business Process Reengineering (BPR): Definition, …
Business re-engineering External links:
Archemys – Commercialism & Business Re-engineering
Clive Finkelstein External links:
Mr. Clive Finkelstein – udemy.com
Computer Science External links:
Computer Science Curriculum for Grades K-5 | Code.org
UTRGV | UTRGV Computer Science
Learn | Computer Science Education Week
Data analysis External links:
Equity in Athletics Data Analysis – US Department of …
[PDF]General Position Information PB034 – Data Analysis …
Data Analysis – Illinois State Board of Education
Database administrator External links:
[PDF]Title: Database Administrator – peoriaaz.gov
Database Administrator Job Description Examples | Indeed.com
Welcome to RICEWorks! | Database Administrator
Database design External links:
[PDF]Title: Database Design – UDC CSIT
Database design (Internet resource, 2014) [WorldCat.org]
What is database design – answers.com
Entity-relationship model External links:
The Entity-Relationship Model
Enhanced Entity-Relationship Model
Information Architecture External links:
Information Architecture Basics | Usability.gov
The Age of Information Architecture | UX Booth
Information Architecture – AbeBooks
Information Engineering Facility External links:
IEF (Information Engineering Facility) | Maryrose Mallari
Information Technology External links:
Student Email | Information Technology
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Information system External links:
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System: …
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
Buildings Information System
Information systems External links:
NTREIS | North Texas Real Estate Information Systems, Inc.
Metropolitan Regional Information Systems – MRIS
Defense Information Systems Agency – Official Site
Integrated Authority File External links:
MEDLARS indexing: integrated authority file
Integrated Authority File – YouTube
Integrated Authority File (GND) – Deutsche Nationalbibliothek
KnowledgeWare External links:
KnowledgeWare retries – EBSCO Information Services
8 ABM Knowledgeware reviews. A free inside look at company reviews and salaries posted anonymously by employees.
e-Municipality, e-Governance in India | ABM Knowledgeware Ltd
Rapid application development External links:
Pega 7 Platform: Rapid Application Development | Pega
Rapid Application Development for the Web | Radzen
Best Rapid Application Development (RAD) Software in …
Software Engineering External links:
Academy for Software Engineering / Homepage
Software Engineering | University of Wisconsin-Platteville
Software Engineering Services
Systems analyst External links:
Computer Systems Analyst – Career Information – The …
How to Become a Computer Systems Analyst – WGU
Business Systems Analyst Job Description Examples | Indeed.com