What is involved in Unified Communications
Find out what the related areas are that Unified Communications connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Unified Communications thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Unified Communications and Collaboration UCC journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Unified Communications and Collaboration UCC leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Unified Communications related domains to cover and 97 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Unified Communications, Call control, Collaborative software, Communications service provider, Computer network, Computer speech recognition, Desktop sharing, Digital signage, Emergency communication system, Extension Mobility, Fixed-mobile convergence, IBM Lotus Sametime, IP telephony, Instant messaging, Intelligent network service, Interactive whiteboard, Internet Protocol Television, Juniper Networks, Key telephone system, Lotus Notes, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Windows, Mobile collaboration, Mozilla Thunderbird, Network World, Office Communications Server, Phone company, Presence information, Presence service, Private branch exchange, Real-time Transport Protocol, Software as a service, Speech recognition, Telecommunication circuit, Telephone exchange, Unified Communications Interoperability Forum, Unified Communications as a Service, Unified communications management, Unified messaging, Unify GmbH & Co. KG, Video conferencing, Voice over Internet Protocol:
Unified Communications Critical Criteria:
Participate in Unified Communications strategies and describe which business rules are needed as Unified Communications interface.
– Think about the functions involved in your Unified Communications project. what processes flow from these functions?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Unified Communications agendas for the next 3 years?
– Have you identified your Unified Communications key performance indicators?
Call control Critical Criteria:
Track Call control engagements and spearhead techniques for implementing Call control.
– Which customers cant participate in our Unified Communications domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Does our organization need more Unified Communications education?
Collaborative software Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Collaborative software governance and probe the present value of growth of Collaborative software.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Unified Communications? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What management system can we use to leverage the Unified Communications experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– What is Effective Unified Communications?
Communications service provider Critical Criteria:
Consult on Communications service provider tactics and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Communications service provider decisions.
– If voip is classified as a telecommunications service, should access charges for it be different from those paid by non-ip-enabled telecommunications service providers?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Unified Communications strengthening and reform actually originate?
– What are our needs in relation to Unified Communications skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Unified Communications?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Refer to Computer network goals and forecast involvement of future Computer network projects in development.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Unified Communications information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Unified Communications, including any consulting or professional services?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– How do we Improve Unified Communications service perception, and satisfaction?
Computer speech recognition Critical Criteria:
Merge Computer speech recognition goals and mentor Computer speech recognition customer orientation.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Unified Communications project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Unified Communications project lifecycle?
– Do those selected for the Unified Communications team have a good general understanding of what Unified Communications is all about?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Unified Communications project?
Desktop sharing Critical Criteria:
Test Desktop sharing quality and drive action.
– What are internal and external Unified Communications relations?
– How can you measure Unified Communications in a systematic way?
– How can skill-level changes improve Unified Communications?
Digital signage Critical Criteria:
Mine Digital signage risks and get out your magnifying glass.
– How do we go about Comparing Unified Communications approaches/solutions?
– Does Unified Communications appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Emergency communication system Critical Criteria:
Understand Emergency communication system results and oversee implementation of Emergency communication system.
– What are the key elements of your Unified Communications performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– How do we know that any Unified Communications analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– What is our formula for success in Unified Communications ?
Extension Mobility Critical Criteria:
Nurse Extension Mobility goals and mentor Extension Mobility customer orientation.
– How do we manage Unified Communications Knowledge Management (KM)?
– What will drive Unified Communications change?
Fixed-mobile convergence Critical Criteria:
Survey Fixed-mobile convergence management and catalog Fixed-mobile convergence activities.
– Are assumptions made in Unified Communications stated explicitly?
– Are we Assessing Unified Communications and Risk?
– What are our Unified Communications Processes?
IBM Lotus Sametime Critical Criteria:
Investigate IBM Lotus Sametime quality and overcome IBM Lotus Sametime skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Unified Communications forward?
– Why is Unified Communications important for you now?
– Is the scope of Unified Communications defined?
IP telephony Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about IP telephony visions and define what our big hairy audacious IP telephony goal is.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Unified Communications process?
– What is the purpose of Unified Communications in relation to the mission?
Instant messaging Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Instant messaging failures and optimize Instant messaging leadership as a key to advancement.
– Are you looking for a vendor to provide instant messaging built into the solution so users of the system can instant message each other?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Unified Communications opportunities costing us money?
Intelligent network service Critical Criteria:
Jump start Intelligent network service leadership and probe Intelligent network service strategic alliances.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Unified Communications is underway?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Unified Communications values?
– Is Unified Communications Required?
Interactive whiteboard Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Interactive whiteboard goals and grade techniques for implementing Interactive whiteboard controls.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Unified Communications processes?
– What are specific Unified Communications Rules to follow?
– Is a Unified Communications Team Work effort in place?
Internet Protocol Television Critical Criteria:
Frame Internet Protocol Television leadership and develop and take control of the Internet Protocol Television initiative.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Unified Communications services/products?
– Are accountability and ownership for Unified Communications clearly defined?
Juniper Networks Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Juniper Networks strategies and point out improvements in Juniper Networks.
Key telephone system Critical Criteria:
Explore Key telephone system projects and interpret which customers can’t participate in Key telephone system because they lack skills.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Unified Communications delivery for example is new software needed?
– Is there a Unified Communications Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
Lotus Notes Critical Criteria:
Judge Lotus Notes visions and integrate design thinking in Lotus Notes innovation.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Unified Communications products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Is the Unified Communications organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Unified Communications project?
Microsoft Outlook Critical Criteria:
Mine Microsoft Outlook management and differentiate in coordinating Microsoft Outlook.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Unified Communications processes?
– Will Unified Communications have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– How can the value of Unified Communications be defined?
Microsoft Windows Critical Criteria:
Chart Microsoft Windows outcomes and proactively manage Microsoft Windows risks.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Unified Communications strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Will Unified Communications deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Mobile collaboration Critical Criteria:
Mix Mobile collaboration decisions and achieve a single Mobile collaboration view and bringing data together.
– what is the best design framework for Unified Communications organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Which Unified Communications goals are the most important?
– Who needs to know about Unified Communications ?
Mozilla Thunderbird Critical Criteria:
Investigate Mozilla Thunderbird planning and find the ideas you already have.
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Unified Communications activities?
– How is the value delivered by Unified Communications being measured?
Network World Critical Criteria:
Examine Network World engagements and intervene in Network World processes and leadership.
Office Communications Server Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Office Communications Server visions and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Office Communications Server projects.
– What are current Unified Communications Paradigms?
– What threat is Unified Communications addressing?
Phone company Critical Criteria:
Add value to Phone company risks and explain and analyze the challenges of Phone company.
– What business benefits will Unified Communications goals deliver if achieved?
Presence information Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Presence information decisions and triple focus on important concepts of Presence information relationship management.
– Have all basic functions of Unified Communications been defined?
– How would one define Unified Communications leadership?
Presence service Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Presence service quality and report on the economics of relationships managing Presence service and constraints.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Unified Communications moving forward?
– Think of your Unified Communications project. what are the main functions?
Private branch exchange Critical Criteria:
Devise Private branch exchange planning and innovate what needs to be done with Private branch exchange.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Unified Communications that make it risky?
Real-time Transport Protocol Critical Criteria:
Analyze Real-time Transport Protocol results and find the ideas you already have.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Unified Communications strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Are there recognized Unified Communications problems?
Software as a service Critical Criteria:
Explore Software as a service visions and shift your focus.
– Why are Service Level Agreements a dying breed in the software as a service industry?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Unified Communications been identified and analyzed?
Speech recognition Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Speech recognition results and customize techniques for implementing Speech recognition controls.
– What are the disruptive Unified Communications technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
Telecommunication circuit Critical Criteria:
Deduce Telecommunication circuit visions and attract Telecommunication circuit skills.
Telephone exchange Critical Criteria:
Nurse Telephone exchange leadership and look for lots of ideas.
Unified Communications Interoperability Forum Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Unified Communications Interoperability Forum governance and figure out ways to motivate other Unified Communications Interoperability Forum users.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Unified Communications objectives?
– How do we maintain Unified Communicationss Integrity?
Unified Communications as a Service Critical Criteria:
Understand Unified Communications as a Service strategies and differentiate in coordinating Unified Communications as a Service.
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Unified Communications activities?
Unified communications management Critical Criteria:
Start Unified communications management goals and grade techniques for implementing Unified communications management controls.
– What is our Unified Communications Strategy?
Unified messaging Critical Criteria:
Jump start Unified messaging management and be persistent.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Unified Communications ?
Unify GmbH & Co. KG Critical Criteria:
Mine Unify GmbH & Co. KG visions and finalize the present value of growth of Unify GmbH & Co. KG.
– How can you negotiate Unified Communications successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How important is Unified Communications to the user organizations mission?
– How do we Identify specific Unified Communications investment and emerging trends?
Video conferencing Critical Criteria:
Coach on Video conferencing governance and devote time assessing Video conferencing and its risk.
Voice over Internet Protocol Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Voice over Internet Protocol adoptions and report on the economics of relationships managing Voice over Internet Protocol and constraints.
– How will you measure your Unified Communications effectiveness?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Unified Communications and Collaboration UCC Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Unified Communications External links:
What is Unified Communications? Webopedia Definition
Call control External links:
Call Control – Block calls for mobile, home and carriers
Call Control Dashboard – Login :: Welltok
Call Control – Cisco
Collaborative software External links:
Home – IRIS Business Architect collaborative software
Collaborative software solutions from MultiTaction
XHANDU Home The First Realtime Collaborative Software
Communications service provider External links:
Communications Service Provider – Opus Networks
Computer network External links:
Computer network (eBook, 2009) [WorldCat.org]
15-1152.00 – Computer Network Support Specialists
Computer speech recognition External links:
[PDF]Computer Speech Recognition and Language …
Desktop sharing External links:
Join a Desktop Sharing Session | www.mikogo.com
Ammyy Admin – Free Remote Desktop Sharing and …
Desktop Sharing for Mac Linux Windows – ShowMyPC
Digital signage External links:
Convergent Digital Signage as a Service: Software & …
Industry Weapon Digital Signage
Kiosks & Digital Signage – Customer Experience Leader
Emergency communication system External links:
Radio Hailer – Emergency Communication System
Contact Emergency Communication System Provider | …
Emergency Communication System Overview – Cornell
Extension Mobility External links:
Configuring Extension Mobility – YouTube
EXTENSION MOBILITY- XML Error  Parse Error ?? – …
Extension mobility error – 86086 – The Cisco Learning …
IBM Lotus Sametime External links:
IBM Lotus Sametime Meetings – Meeting Room Center
IBM Lotus Sametime 9.0 – Administration
IBM Lotus Sametime Connect for browsers
IP telephony External links:
Why Choose ShoreTel? IP Telephony & UC Solutions
IP Telephony Voice over IP (VoIP) – Cisco
[PDF]IP Telephony Contact Centers Services Avaya IP …
Instant messaging External links:
CME Pivot Instant Messaging Platform – CME Group
ICE Instant Messaging
Intelligent network service External links:
INSO means Intelligent Network Service Operator – All …
[PDF]Requirements for intelligent network service …
Interactive whiteboard External links:
Annotate | Mobile Interactive Whiteboard, Student …
Interactive Whiteboard Games | PBS KIDS
Internet Protocol Television External links:
Hospital IPTV | Internet Protocol Television | TeleHealth
Home – Expat TellyExpat Telly | Internet Protocol Television
IPTV: Internet Protocol Television • r/IPTV – Reddit-IPTV
Juniper Networks External links:
Juniper Networks – Official Site
Juniper Networks – Sunnyvale, CA
Juniper Networks, Inc. (JNPR) Pre-Market Trading – NASDAQ.com
Key telephone system External links:
[PDF]KEY TELEPHONE SYSTEM GROUNDING AND …
What is KEY TELEPHONE SYSTEM (KTS)? definition of …
Toshiba CTX 670 CIX 670 Key Telephone System
Lotus Notes External links:
[PDF]Lotus Notes Client Version 8.5 Reference Guide
How to Get Full Headers From Lotus Notes – Haltabuse
Microsoft Outlook External links:
Dec 18, 2017 · The official Microsoft Outlook app for Android phones and tablets.
Setting Up Your E-mail in Microsoft Outlook
How to manage .pst files in Microsoft Outlook
Microsoft Windows External links:
Changing Microsoft Windows and Office Product Keys
Mobile collaboration External links:
Mobile Collaboration – Send Word Now
Mobile Collaboration Platform – eesyQ
Mobile Collaboration | Plantronics
Mozilla Thunderbird External links:
Mozilla Thunderbird is a free email program that offers a range of options for PC users without access to robust paid software like Microsoft Outlook. Allowing
Mozilla Thunderbird – Lightning Calendar — Mozilla
Setting Up Your E-mail in Mozilla Thunderbird
Office Communications Server External links:
Download Office Communications Server 2007 and 2007 …
Office Communications Server or Lync Server 2010 …
Ports Required by Office Communications Server
Phone company External links:
Annatel US – Your English Speaking Phone Company in Israel
Cell Phone Company Transparency Report | CREDO Mobile
Press Room | Mobile News | Cell Phone Company | U.S. Cellular
Presence service External links:
Cisco Unified Communications Manager IM & Presence Service
Private branch exchange External links:
About the Symantec Private Branch Exchange
PBX (private branch exchange) – Gartner IT Glossary
PBX (Private Branch eXchange) – The Tech-FAQ
Real-time Transport Protocol External links:
Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP) Parameters
Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP) Parameters
Display Filter Reference: Real-Time Transport Protocol
Software as a service External links:
What is SaaS? Software as a Service | Microsoft Azure
What is Software as a Service (SaaS) – Salesforce.com
Speech recognition External links:
SayIt from nVoq – Speech Recognition in the Cloud
Speech API – Speech Recognition | Google Cloud Platform
Use speech recognition
Telecommunication circuit External links:
http://A telecommunication circuit is any line, conductor, or other conduit by which information is transmitted. A dedicated circuit, private circuit, or leased line is a line that is dedicated to only one use. Originally, this was analog, and was often used by radio stations as a studio/transmitter link (STL) or remote pickup unit (RPU) for their audio, sometimes as a backup to other means.
Telephone exchange External links:
Online BillPay – Steelville Telephone Exchange Inc.
North American Telephone Exchange Lookup by NPA NXX
Unified Communications Interoperability Forum External links:
Unified Communications Interoperability Forum …
Unified Communications Interoperability Forum
http://The Unified Communications Interoperability Forum is a non-profit alliance between communications technology vendors. It was announced on May 19, 2010, with the vision to maximize the interoperability of UC based on existing standards. Founding members of UCIF were HP, Microsoft, Polycom, Logitech / LifeSize Communications, and Juniper Networks. On July 28, 2014 UCIF merged with International Multimedia Telecommunications Consortium into one consortium.
Unified Communications as a Service External links:
UCaaS, Unified Communications As A Service | Masergy
Unified communications management External links:
[PDF]Using Unified Communications Management (UCM) …
[PDF]Using Unified Communications Management to …
[PDF]Nortel Unified Communications Management …
Unified messaging External links:
AT&T Voicemail Viewer App | Digital Phone & Unified Messaging
Voice mail in Exchange Online: Unified Messaging
Unify GmbH & Co. KG External links:
Unify GmbH & Co. KG – RSA Security
Video conferencing External links:
Zoom Audio and Video Conferencing
Voice over Internet Protocol External links:
VoIP Calling | How Voice Over Internet Protocol Works
Voip, Voice Over Internet Protocol :: Technology Voip …
“Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP), Video Games, and …